Did you know: 10 interesting facts about North Korea
North Korea is one of the most interesting & mysterious countries on the earth, and people have a lot of curiosity about the culture, administration and the political situation of the country. Below are 10 interesting North Korea facts that will blow your mind.
North Korea Facts:
- Elections are held in North Korea every 5 years, and voting is mandatory in the country with an usual voter turnout of nearly 100%. The strange part is that only one candidate appears on ballot (guess who?). In 2014, Kim Jong Un won the election with 100% vote.
- North Korea has self reported a literacy rate of 100%. Note: literacy is defined as the ability to write “Kim in Sung” on paper.
- Only 4 million out of 25 million citizens have a mobile phone, with no internet access.
- Around 300 female traffic cops control the traffic in the capital, all are hired for their looks. They must be single, beautiful and shall retire at the age of 26.
- Citizens are required to choose one of the 28 government approved haircuts.
- North Korea has a space program with only 33% success rate. Source
- North Korea work hours are from 7 am to 10 pm with many political study sessions in between, for six days a week. There is no concept of personal time. Source
- If North Korean citizens are caught watching South Korean movies, pornography or possessing a Bible, they are given death penalty. According to a report, at least 80 public executions were conducted in 2013 alone for such minor “offenses”. Source
- You can’t wear blue jeans in North Korea, as it is America’s favorite clothing! Wearing Jeans is a crime, as it symbolizes the enemy. Source
- There are no traffic lights in North Korea, as there is no need for one. There is less than 1 car per 1000 people.
Do you want which is the safest country on earth, check out this article.